Backend software developer, functional programming practitioner, currently focused on the Scala ecosystem (Play, Akka, Slick, Scalaz, Cats).
Professional experience building software at scale, in high traffic deployments.
Experience leading technical teams. Advocate of software as a craft, pragmatism and getting things done.
- Web and API endpoints: Used the Play framework extensively.
- Persistence: Mostly relational DBs, some NoSQL as well.
- Stream-oriented data processing with Akka-streams.
- CQRS (including Elasticsearch)
- Integration frameworks/services: Kafka, Camel, SQS, Beanstalkd.
- Git workflows
- Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery and DevOps philosophy in general.
- Side-effect minimization programming
- BPM, media streaming, social networks, web hosting, finance.
Other tech I’ve worked with
- Front-end: Angular, HTML5, mobile web, Chrome-packaged apps and Chrome extensions.
- Desktop: JavaFX.
- Linux Sysadmin: managing various servers/services in cloud environments, with an emphasis in high availability, scalability and security.
Old stuff I have experience with
- PHP with various MVC frameworks
- Some exposure to Spring
Open source stuff I’ve made
- Activator project for Play Iteratees: Written in Scala, this is a sample project with a tutorial showing how to use Iteratees in Play, which is a functional construct to progressively process data streams.
- PulpTunes-relay: Pulptunes (http://pulptunes.com) is a desktop app for streaming music from one’s iTunes library to desktop and mobile browsers. This repo contains only the backend part, which is a distributed Play app that takes care of relaying the bytes between the desktop apps and the browser clients [uses JavaFX, Websockets, Scala, Play, Akka].
- Songist: A popular music player distributed as a Chrome Packaged App [uses AngularJs, HTML5 APIs, Scala, Play]
- Client for Amazon Advertising API: A Scala script to query Amazon web services for product information.
- Financial functions library for PHP: A collection of financial functions for time value of money (annuities), cash flow, interest rate conversions, bonds and depreciation calculations, for PHP’s PEAR library repository.
- Other Stuff: Check out my GitHub Account.
Some other personal closed-source projects
- Folders.io: Cloud storage solution with the ability to stream files directly from the browser (as opposed to fully upload them beforehand). The project was acquired by Jumis Software in 2013 [Servlets, HTML5 APIs, Chrome extension]
Work experience, education, etc.
Check my LinkedIn profile.
Available upon request.
Hit me on twitter (@alpeb) or email me to email@example.com